When you replace garage doors, you actually want the best possible value for your money. The value vs cost ratio is determined by the materials you choose but is also shaped by your own needs too. After all, in order to select garage door materials, you have to consider a number of factors that will influence your lifestyle in the future. And you definitely aim at positive effects.
What to consider before you select garage door materials
- Metal, wood and glass garage door prices
- Your environment – Remote? Moisture? Urban?
- How much money you want to spend
- Garage door maintenance requirements
- Which style you prefer
- Your expectations in regard to the garage door’s longevity
- Do you want an insulated garage door?
The pros and cons of the most popular materials for garage doors
Perhaps there is no need to say that there are steel, aluminum, glass and wood garage doors. Although there are composite and vinyl materials, these are the most popular ones. Keep in mind that each material has its pros and cons.
- Glass garage doors are extremely elegant and will definitely enhance home value. One of their greatest benefits is that they are resistant to moisture and thus long-lasting. Their only drawback would be lack of privacy. But this is also taken care of since you can choose milk glass panels. But they are one of the most expensive choices.
- Wood doors are also expensive. The bad news is that natural wood can warp and rot and hence your door would require good maintenance over the years. This will add to your expenses. The good thing with wood door options is their unparalleled beauty.
- Aluminum garage doors are inexpensive and long lasting since the material is very resistant to elements. But due to their lightweight, they are not recommended for hurricane prone areas. Since aluminum is a soft material, they can be dented easily.
- Steel garage doors are sturdy, heavy, and long-lasting as long as they are made of stainless steel. They cost more than aluminum doors but are more durable.
What combinations you can make to get the best garage door
When you are out trying to select a new garage door, keep such things in mind. Remember that nowadays you can combine materials and ideas. For example, you can get a glass garage door with an aluminum frame and not a wooden one to make it even more resistant. Instead of getting natural wood doors, you can get composite wood which won’t crack, rot or get damaged.
- It’s also important to consider your insulation expectations. The best choice for energy efficient sectional doors would be steel.
- If you want to be able to paint the door in the future, prefer steel or wood.
- If you want to invest in a very strong door, it can’t get stronger than steel.
Don’t worry about styles and thus aesthetics. Today, all garage doors are beautiful. And you can add garage door windows or trendy hardware to make them even more modern. Just make sure the material you get meets your budget and maintenance expectations to avoid surprises.